Financial support for Parents

What kind of support am I eligible for if I am the parent and I have decided to start University?


The following support is available for those with Pre/settled status. 


First of all we need to describe who may be classified as a „parent”

That may be:

  • Biological parent

  • Step parent 

  • Adoptive or legal parent 

  • A legally appointed guardian 

  • A foster carer 

  • Someone who provides kinship or other parental care to the child of a family member or friend 


 What kind of support you can expect? 

  • Academic support: Thank to that you will be able to get the additional time to prepare your assignments. If you are not able to attend the classes – talk to your tutor – usually they are all saved on your online student platform. You will be able to watch them at home.


  • Financial support: If you need some additional funds, you should ask about the hardship fund at the university student union.


  • Childcare facilities: Sometimes you can find a childcare facility on the campus or in the close neighbourhood. Book the place as soon as you will receive the conditional offer.


  • Health and wellbeing support: If you need a profesional support do not be shy and ask about counselling – student services or the wellbeing team. They will be able to provide you with the proper support.


  • Tuition fee and maintenance loans: If you take care about your little one, you are going to be considered as independent student straight away. You may still live with your parents – thats fine!

  • Childcare Grant: This grant does not need to be repaid as it has been prepared to support you and your child under the age of 15.

  • Parents’ Learning Allowance: This is an additional grant that does not need to be repaid. Ask your student union for additional support.

  • NHS Bursary Learning Support Fund: if you are planning to study one of the NHS healthcare courses in the UK, you may be able to apply for additional support to cover the costs of transfers, accommodation and other.

    The government has announced that new and existing students on nursing, midwifery, and allied health courses will receive minimum funding of £5,000 a year (English providers only). £3,000 will be available in additional funding, including:  

    • £1,000 a year for specialist disciplines including mental health, learning disability, podiatry, diagnostic and therapeutic radiography, orthoptics, orthotics, and prosthetics.

    • An additional £1,000 childcare allowance to help students balance their studies with family life, on top of the £1,000 already on offer.  

    • £1,000 for areas of the country which have seen a decrease in people accepted onto some nursing, midwifery, and allied health courses over the past year. 

  • Other benefits: depending on your circumstances, you may be able to apply for other benefits as a parent, such as: Universal Credit (which is replacing Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit and Income Support) and Council Tax Reduction.